I know I don’t normally review movies, but as that I have reviewed a large number of the Ender Series books here, I thought I should probably give a quite review of the recently released film.
In short, I actually really enjoyed it. While not as good as the book (very few films are), I really cannot imagine a movie that better captures the feel, themes, and sentiments of the novel. Indeed, all of the major elements of the story are there (yes, including the mind game), most especially the truly multi national and pan ethnic nature of the kids in Battle School.
What is more, the acting was really very good, particularly the kids. The visuals were solid, and the counter play between Graft and Ender was very well handled. Indeed, perhaps the best measure of the film was that at the critical moment when Ender graduates from Command School, my wife (who is only just exploring sci-fi novels and so had not read the book) felt the full impact of the moment.
In fact, the only real criticism I have of the movie was that there really should have been a pause between that scene and the final sequence so the real impact would hit the viewer.
Beyond that… it was an excellent movie that does a great job of bringing the book to life.
For a review of the novel, with more description of the highlights and fall backs of the story as a whole.
- Strings on a Shadow Puppet – an exciting new Space Opera-Espionage novel by T.L. Evans (www.sophyanempire.com)
- Enders Game (www.sophyanempire.wordpress.com)
- Film Review: Ender’s Game (mainsqueezeblog.wordpress.com)
- Ender’s Game (filmtoppings.com)
- Ender’s Game is a thrill ride with no real emotion (io9.com)
- Movie Review: Ender’s Game (outrightgeekery.wordpress.com)
- Ender’s Game Wins as a Popcorn Flick but Loses Some Heart (wired.com)
- So I listened to Ender’s Game Alive: The Full Cast Audioplay… (randomizeme.net)
- Ender’s Game The Movie (coolerbs.wordpress.com)
- Ender’s Game Review (andrewfist002.wordpress.com)
- Orson Scott Card: Mentor, Friend, Bigot (wired.com)
- Orson Scott Card: ”Ender’s Game’ Is Unadaptable’ As A Movie (businessinsider.com)
Pingback: Ender’s Game The Movie | Coolerbs Reviews